View New Posts View Today's Posts Search

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Magby Asks 5-7-12
05-08-2012, 11:13 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2012 11:25 PM by Shannond.)
Magby Asks 5-7-12
Hey Guys I loved all the posts and all your awesome answers to Last weeks question. Way to go team!!!Dodgy Except Square,thank you Square.

This Week's question: In the days of Dial up the internet was not the go to for Pokemon info. What did you do to get your fix? Did you have a small group of guys who just sat and played together? Was there one guy who knew everything? Did you even know about competitive battling or EV training? Share your stories about the Pokemon retro days.

PS. I'll be posting my answer as well now to kick things off.
Until Ruby and Sapphire Came around I didn't really play Pokemon with anyone. It was my own personal thing. When you are 6 link cables and that kind of thing are expensive.
When D/P hit is when I really got into playing with friends. On my bus to middle school there were 5 of us that got the game launch weekend and were playing through the game together for the first few months. None of the starters were favored heavily and all of us had different teams and it was great. None of us knew about ev/iv stuff we just took our story team and bashed faces. One of us did have an action replay so we even got all the legendaries semi-legit. [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1vxLbO62psT5rQT2eThl...h2zneo6iiw]

Shannond used Rest... It Failed.
05-09-2012, 08:27 AM
RE: Magby Asks 5-7-12
I got into the first generation late, with Yellow, so most of my friends that played Red and Blue had moved on, so that was pretty much a solo campaign, and that basically went for Gen II, too. I caught what I could on my own and once I got bored I had a Gameshark or Genie or whatever it was that made all the tall grass full of shiny Mewtwos with maxed stats (which is how I learned about Shinies in the first place). I had fallen off PKMN almost completely after that. With a new group of friends developed in the interim, we actually learned there was a new game(s) coming out through Japanese eBay listings of all places (we were so far off the radar at this point we initially assumed Ruby and Sapphire were bootlegs or doujin games or something).

R/S coming out put us on a real nostalgia trip and got us all back into PKMN in a big way, but we were still pretty much playing at face value. We played and traded and battled just within our small group. As I recounted on the 'cast this week, a couple of us went out to NYC for a tournament and got thoroughly trounced by the people there who knew what the hell they were doing, and it was this trip that taught us about EV training, IVs, et al which opened up the rest of the PKMN world to us in a real truth-behind-the-Matrix-y way. I got pretty competitive in gens III and IV, but my heart wasn't in it and once it became all about the numbers I got bored again (despite a brief diversion to the TCG).

Which brings us to present day, where eSeamus got me reluctantly to re-embrace PKMN with Gen V, and while I'm slightly more educated about the mechanics of it all I'm basically back to basing my teams on which dudes I think look the neatest.

"If you meet Arceus on the road, reduce his HP to zero." - Zen Pokōan
05-10-2012, 08:08 AM
RE: Magby Asks 5-7-12
I bunch of my friends used to have pokemon, but none of us had link cables. I used to spend a ton of time on this one pokemon fansite. It doesn't exist anymore, but you can find it here http://web.archive.org/web/2001121119231...dudearea51

I saw the url for it in some pokemon magazine I got when I was 6 or 7. It had all sorts of information about Japanese pokemon stuff.

[Image: FtVgr.png]

Bouncing Wailord: hashtagwearentfunny