View New Posts View Today's Posts Search

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pokémon Battle Evolution - Theory Special
11-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Pokémon Battle Evolution - Theory Special
This week on Pokémon Battle Evolution, eSeamus details a theory he had about the story of Pokémon X and Pokémon Y.

eSeamus's Battle Videos
VMYW-WWWW-WWWX-7DYM
AQ9W-WWWW-WWWX-HWQJ
ZF9W-WWWW-WWWX-HWST
HTKG-WWWW-WWWX-YZ5F
4U6G-WWWW-WWW2-6WJW
KP4G-WWWW-WWW2-6WYN
XAWG-WWWW-WWW2-6WYD
BJYG-WWWW-WWW2-6WYW

Feel free to submit topics for future episodes and art and flavor text for the Let's Make a Card feature! You can also submit decklists or Pokémon teams for future episodes!

Buy Pokémon Battle Evolution a booster pack and get a plug! Wishlist is here!

11-19-2013, 12:44 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2013 12:49 PM by Strawberry Eggs.)
RE: Pokémon Battle Evolution - Theory Special
It's interesting to be sure, and it would clear up one of my big complaints about Lysandre's motives. He claims that he's worked for years to make people's lives better, but it doesn't really seem like the Pokemon world needs it. Crime seems to be low, save for the occasional trouble-making evil team; people have a lot of respect for nature, so pollution and and the destruction of natural habitats are considerably lower than in the real world; overpopulation doesn't seem to be an issue; and people seem to generally have a positive outlook on things. Lysandre thinking that the world is can't be save just seems baffling, as it's practically a utopia, especially in the games (I know the Pokemon Adventure manga is a different story).

Now Lysandre purposely inviting people he would consider to be bad eggs and then have all of them and himself (or not) killed makes more sense than him somehow thinking that these same people are all that should be saved. It makes him less of extremist, but not by much. Who is he to judge these people as worthy of death? Have they truly done anything heinous? Do people who are selfish and greedy deserve to die automatically? Of course not. Surely a few of them have never directly done anything wrong, and even fewer anything worthy of death. Even if all of them earned money through unscrupulous means, who is he to judge them? So what if they don't meet up to his standards? I suppose he somewhat redeemed himself if wanted to kill himself along with the other members of Team Flare, but it still makes him horrendously misguided at best and a moral monster at worst.

If this theory is true, it would certainly paint the story in a darker light. Don't take my criticism of Lysandre's hypothetical reasons to be a criticism of the theory as a whole.
11-21-2013, 10:38 AM
RE: Pokémon Battle Evolution - Theory Special
I liked your take on Lysandre's character, and you redeemed him a bit. Without your theory, Lysandre is a bit dull, and your theory makes him a pseudo-pied piper character leading the people he sees as corrupt to their deaths. Otherwise, I really don't think that Lysandre is all that "evil". If anything, I would say that Xerosic is more of a villain than Lysandre, what with his ever so wonderful starting up of the doomsday weapon, and then running his experiments on Essentia(?) during the post game.

But to take a jab at your theory, would using the ultimate weapon on the members of Team Flare possibly make them immortal? I highly doubt as such, what with there being a grand total of maybe three Team Flare guys running around in the post game, but it does seem logical that a few members could gain immortality.