View New Posts View Today's Posts Search

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Worst and best part about each gen?
09-23-2012, 02:02 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2013 09:16 PM by TheMagicalDolphinOfTime.)
Worst and best part about each gen?
What is the worst, and best part about each gen?

Worst:

Gen 1: The sprites and type advantages, they were really weird.

Gen 2: The Ruins of Alph, pointless area with annoying puzzles and the crappy Pokemon: Uknown.

Gen 3: How much water routes there are. There are just to many! And you can get Marill and Mudkip early on in the game so there is no need for a water type..

Gen 4: The underground, boring with or without friends to do it with, it was like secret bases but worse.

Gen 5: The rivals, they did not use them, they were great charecters, but they are going to be in Black and White 2 so that makes up for it a bit.

Best:

Gen 1: The nostalgia, with all of it's flaws, the nostalgia really makes up for it.

Gen 2: The new Pokemon, they were really cool and introduced my second favorite Pokemon: Bulu (Snubble).

Gen 3: The music, graphics and stat changes, they were great additions.

Gen 4: How easy it is to nuzlock, it's really easy, oh and Darkrai, that Pokemon is awesome.

Gen 5: The charecters and story, they were great, they were well thought out and were intricate.

You, you reading this, bake me a cake!
09-26-2012, 09:43 AM
RE: Worst and best part about each gen?
Worst:

Gen 1: Type balance, lackluster move pool for every single pokemon, a general lack of moves to begin with

Gen 2: Agree on the Ruins, none of the wild pokemon's levels being higher than forty, even in Mt. Silver

Gen 3: Inability to gain a legendary trio without spending money on a guide book, the braille

Gen 4: IMO, Pearl and Diamond are the worst in the entire series, had Gen 1's balance issues, gym leaders didn't specialize with their typing (looking at you Volkner and Octillery), music was subpar IMO

Gen 5: Chargestone cave.

Best

Gen 1: Found the sprites to actually be pretty badass, general nostalgia

Gen 2: Introduced more moves and mon's, while also introducing some of the best competitive mon's, splitting the Special stat.

Gen 3: Music, graphics, the massive environment, ranging from deserts to volcanoes to rain forests and islands, more of a story line than the previous games

Gen 4: Platinum went a long way toward fixing the previous games, with HG/SS finally redeeming the generation

Gen 5: The story. The first main game with an actual story line, with some great characters, and some awesome new mon's.
09-26-2012, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2012 09:03 AM by TheMagicalDolphinOfTime.)
(09-26-2012 09:43 AM)REC7 Wrote:  Worst:

Gen 1: Type balance, lackluster move pool for every single pokemon, a general lack of moves to begin with

Gen 2: Agree on the Ruins, none of the wild pokemon's levels being higher than forty, even in Mt. Silver

Gen 3: Inability to gain a legendary trio without spending money on a guide book, the braille

Gen 4: IMO, Pearl and Diamond are the worst in the entire series, had Gen 1's balance issues, gym leaders didn't specialize with their typing (looking at you Volkner and Octillery), music was subpar IMO

Gen 5: Chargestone cave.

Best

Gen 1: Found the sprites to actually be pretty badass, general nostalgia

Gen 2: Introduced more moves and mon's, while also introducing some of the best competitive mon's, splitting the Special stat.

Gen 3: Music, graphics, the massive environment, ranging from deserts to volcanoes to rain forests and islands, more of a story line than the previous games

Gen 4: Platinum went a long way toward fixing the previous games, with HG/SS finally redeeming the generation

Gen 5: The story. The first main game with an actual story line, with some great characters, and some awesome new mon's.

The sprites are ok in Gen 1, but they looked... weird. (Also I played the Japanese versions and they're BATSHIT INSANE!) Other then that I agrre with you.

09-28-2012, 12:42 AM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2012 12:46 AM by Tuddrussell.)
Gen 1: Innovative and had some of the best and most memorable pokemon, but hasn't aged well and you really feel the lack of refinement you get form later games.

Gen 2: Shows a good deal of experimentation and proved that this whole thing wasn't just a one hit wonder. However, I feel that it should have distanced itself from the first generation more than it did. If they focused more on making it stand on it's own, rather than just giving us kanto again, it would have been a much stronger generation than it was.

Gen 3: The first generation to actually feel like a new generation. Abilities added a bit of individuality to the pokemon that actually affect battles in a significant fashion and were an interesting addition to the strategic gameplay.

The gym leaders weren't very memorable, actually NPC in general weren't very memorable either... with a few exceptions. Contests, though somewhat entertaining, were largely irrelevant. They were essentially a useless diversion.

Gen 4: Sinnoh is HUGE yet still feels lived in. The towns are fun and interesting, though not as memorable as those in gen 1 or 3. The gym leaders are in top form, nearly as memorable as those in gen 1 and the fights are more varied and they start using damn good strategies. The pokemon feel distinct from the previous ones while still feeling like pokemon, and share a common feeling. They are distinctly sinnohic.

The remakes reintroduced the walking pokemon mechanic from yellow to superb results. It was fun, interesting, and went a long way toward fostering stronger bonds between trainer and pokemon. If this idea is not expanded upon and returned to, it would be a damned shame.

I didn't particularly care for the frontier, so the game felt incomplete to me. Maybe that's my fault, but still. Team Galactic felt very generic and none of them were all that memorable. There weren't very many memorable trainers either. Barry wasn't that great of a rival, honestly. If they made more of his relationship with his father or gave him a stronger team/better strategies then he would have been awesome.

Gen 5: Distancing further from the other regions is good and Unova actually has a style all it's own and it brings some great new pokemon to the table. Bug teams are now not only viable, but fun and diverse. The rivals are definitely strong... if only in characterization, but they do actually put up a good fight on occasion.

This game is very streamlined, a good deal TOO streamlined. There is very little space to roam between cities, and your pokemon get too strong too fast. Getting all eight badges is too easy and too quick. There is also not nearly enough trainers to battle, and given the level gap between the elite four and the last gym means a LOT of grinding.

I feel also that the pokemon are a bit too reminiscent of previous generations. I am also disappointed at the lack of walking pokemon, but I still have my hopes up for upcoming games.
09-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Worst -
Gen 1 - replaying it and thinking bite is a dark type move/no breeding/zubats in mt moon
Gen 2 - constant calls from Joey
Gen 3 - all the water routes
Gen 4 - too many legendaries
Gen 5 - Post E4 was pretty pants

Best -
Gen 1 - Its the starting point for my love affair with pokemon and will always be important to me
Gen 2 - Adding two new types and really expanding the groundwork of R/B/Y
Gen 3 - A lot more added in the way of ballte depth - abilities and so on
Gen 4 - Beautiful animation and got a lot of people back into pokemon
Gen 5 - Great story, great mechanics and the best game in my opinion

esse verum ad te
10-01-2012, 01:14 AM
(09-30-2012 06:43 PM)roberthouse1985 Wrote:  Gen 5 - Great story, great mechanics and the best game in my opinion

You sir have attained One Million respect points.

10-01-2012, 04:00 AM
(10-01-2012 01:14 AM)TheMagicalDolphinOfTime Wrote:  
(09-30-2012 06:43 PM)roberthouse1985 Wrote:  Gen 5 - Great story, great mechanics and the best game in my opinion

You sir have attained One Million respect points.

AWESOME! thats all I needed to get to esquire level! Thanks! XD

esse verum ad te