Bouncing Wailord Forums
A sad truth - Printable Version

+- Bouncing Wailord Forums (http://forum.bouncingwailord.com)
+-- Forum: Pokemon (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Trading Card Game (/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: A sad truth (/showthread.php?tid=85)

A sad truth - Shannond - 04-30-2012 11:35 PM

I was recently in Wal Mart looking to snag a deal on some MTG cards, when a woman asked me about some packs of Pokemon cards. " which one of these is the newest?" she asked. I explained to the the difference between sets and how certain deals like tins and other things were useful.

She told me that her child, who I , in a moment of stupidity assumed was a boy,:dodgy:had gotten really into the card game and that she was enjoying it as well. I was surprised by three things. One, Her 8 year old daughter like the TCG. Two, She was joining her daughter in the wonders of the Pokemon world. And finally, Three, I was surprised by the gender and age of a Pokemon fan.

I know that being surprised by that was abysmal of me. The fact of the matter is however that I had rarely seen such a thing. I have Friends who play casually and I know even more people who play gen three in class throughout my high-school, but Older and Female Pokemon fans are just something that I hadn't seen. I know there must be tons of girls who love Pokemon, as well as Parents and other Adults who do. What I don't know is why they are so elusive to many of us, or me.

Why do you think that is?

RE: A sad truth - natrivv - 05-01-2012 02:15 AM

I don't know from what I've seen in my city is the older audiance is about 50/50 Highschool and younger seem to be primarly male but college plus about 50/50 though I do see a fare amount of females running around with pikachu on there items; the best I've seen is a pikachu hoodie. What surprised me about your post is that the local walmarts here don't carry pokemon tcg anymore.

RE: A sad truth - SionTheSheep - 04-18-2013 12:48 AM

It's quite surprising the amount of diversity there is when it comes to Pokemon. When I was 13, me and a friend of mine went cross country (Wales is a small country, mind) to a Pokemon event to get Mew on FireRed/LeafGreen from Toys R Us, the average age was about 20, despite being a children-orientated shop! There were children forcing their parents to go, and some parents even forcing their children to go, some children by themselves and some adults by themselves too, and a load of teenagers/young adults Big Grin

Also, recently I went to SunnyCon dressed as a Naruto character but with Ash's hat and his Harry Potter scar-for-cheeks, (I used an entire can of red hair spray the day before to be Sasori) to which a lot of people said how much they enjoy Pokemon. Where I live, however, I know about two or three girls who enjoy Pokemon casually, although one called me sad for knowing more than 200 of them >.< I'm sure there's more Pokemon fans local that I don't know, but a lot of people who like Pokemon tend to keep it to themselves

RE: A sad truth - REC7 - 04-18-2013 11:14 AM

Around my hometown, I would say that it's around 50/50, with most of the fans being in college/high school, and children.